Have you heard about the U-Visa? At the Law Offices of Lara Wagner, we take great pride in helping our clients understand every aspect of the U-Visa process from what it is, to who it helps and the process surrounding it.
The U-Visa is a non-immigrant visa available to non-citizen victims of certain types of serious crimes, who cooperate with law enforcement and suffer physical or mental abuse as a result of the crime. Adult applicants can include their spouses and minor children in their applications, while minor victims can include their parents and minor siblings. The U Visa is valid for 4 years and provides a pathway to citizenship, meaning that U Visa holders can apply for a green card and, eventually, US citizenship.
In order to qualify for the U-Visa, you have to meet the following criteria:
- Be a victim of a qualifying criminal activity, which includes domestic violence and felonious assault;
- Suffer from severe physical or mental abuse as a result of the qualifying criminal activity;
- Possess information about the qualifying criminal activity;
- Be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the qualifying criminal activity; and
- Have the relevant law enforcement agency certify that you were helpful.
With your U Visa application, you will have to submit evidence showing that you meet all of the requirements outlined above. This evidence includes a law enforcement certification and a statement from you, explaining what happened and how it affected you.
If you don’t know where to start collecting this evidence, it’s a good idea to reach out to an attorney, like Lara! Lara and her staff can help you request the required certification, draft your statement, collect any other evidence that might be relevant, and present your case to USCIS.
If you think you qualify for a U Visa and need help getting started or if you just want more information about the process and your options, we’re here to help! You can contact us today with questions or concerns, and we're happy to schedule your consultation at a time that's convenient for you!